If asked to find the perfect example of what “Love At First Sight” tastes like the answer is always… tacos. Nothing beats bitting into a juicy mix of sweet and savoury. Add a spoonful of salsa and guacamole and you have yourself the perfect pair. This recipe brings forth the playfulness of summer by introducing a sweet mango salsa. The best part? You don’t need to cheat on your diet or affect your health goals. This recipe is healthy and delicious. Wether you do them with a crispy shell or a classic corn tortilla, this recipe is a staple Summer 2022 dinner.
- Shrimp: Personally, we prefer to use large shrimp that come peeled, deveined and with the tails removed. This just saves you time and allows you to start cooking right away.
- spices: cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne for heat. Season with your heart.
- mango: Please… get a fresh mango. Chopping frozen mango will leave you with mushy mess.
- lime: freshly squeezed if possible.
- olive oil: The perfect marinade base for this dish. Use it to cook the shrimp in or substitute it with butter. Make sure to add some to the pan before you put the shrimp in.
- onion: red onion is our preference.
- cilantro: freshly chopped. Make sure to chop extra to garnish the shrimp tacos.
- jalapeño: chop the entire jalapeño. Remember that the seeds adds a lots of spice. To lessen the spiciness remove the seeds before you chop.
- Thaw the shrimp. You can either put it in a bowl with cold water or under cold running water.
- Marinate the shrimp. You can do this a few minutes or a few hours prior to cooking the shrimp. The longer the better for the flavour. Toss the shrimp in olive oil, add all the spices together and set aside until ready to cook.
- Make the mango salsa. Toss together the diced mango, chopped onion, jalapeño, and cilantro with lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill the salsa until you are ready to pre the tacos.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil or butter over medium high heat until glistening.
- Add in the shrimp and spread to make sure they are all in one even layer. Remember they cook fast. Heat each side about 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. You will know they are cooked when they turn opaque.
- Transfer shrimp immediately to a clean plate after they are done. A heated pan will continue to cook them even if the stove is turned off.
- Time to assemble the tacos! You can warm your tortillas by putting them in the pan a few seconds or tossing them in the microwave.
- Grab warm tortillas and spoon hot shrimp inside. Top with mango salsa and you are set.
- We love to add a simple crema on top. Just sour cream, lime juice, garlic and a touch of salt.
Tip: You can prep the toppings ahead of time to make this a go to meal for when in a pinch.
Tip: Serve with Corn! Try topping the corn with a Cilantro Lime Butter Sauce.
Tip: Swap the taco shell for corn tortillas to make this dish Gluten-Free.
Tip: To thaw the shrimp just transfer into a bowl and run cold water over it for about 5 minutes or so, tossing a few times. You can also put them in a bowl with cold water, just keep in mind it will take longer than constant running water.